Thursday, October 6, 2011

"Riding on the City of New Orleans . . "

Eventually I'm going to have to sleep.
I haven't in a while.
If I'd made my Amtrak reservations earlier I could have gotten an affordable roomette (two person private room) on the trip from Newbern to New Orleans. The train comes through Newbern around 4 a.m. and, if I have a bed to get into, I fall asleep right away and arrive in NOLA rested.
Coach, however, is a different story.
Oh, it's much more roomy and comfortable than coach on an airplane. But it's just not conducive to a good night's sleep.
No matter. I'm here in the Crescent City and once I finish my decaf café Americano here at The Orange Couch, my bed is awaiting me a block and a half away at the Lions Inn.
I arrived at the B&B around 4:15, stayed around for the five p.m. ritual of wine and cheese by the pool, then headed into the Vieux Carré (the French name for the French Quarter) to pick up some things.
Like a short sleeve shirt since it's warmer here this weekend than anticipated.
Like ankle socks since I forgot to pack any.
Tomorrow morning I'm heading fo the J.W. Marriott (different from the regular Marriott) to attend some of the annual meeting of the Popular Culture Association-South. I'm not registered, but I'd like to meet some folks in the group.
That will be much easier because two women who boarded at Newbern with me are on the faculty at UT-Martin and are presenting at the conference.
So I have friends already in a group I haven't even joined.
But, for now, The Orange Couch is about to close and I'm headed to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment