Monday, October 3, 2011

A bit too high tech?

Having a car with "all the latest" technology can be a blessing. Or a pain.
My 2009 Honda Fit was the first one on the dealer's lot that August day in 2008. It was the top of the line model, with built in navigation/sound system, front and rear stabilizer bars and a variety of safety features not yet mandated by the government for another year or so.
One of those features, one that has been on some cars for years, was a tire pressure sensor.
When tire pressure is low in one or more tires, the light comes on. The problem is, it doesn't tell you which tire. But the few times it has happened before, that wasn't hard to tell.
This morning, as I backed out of the carport to head to JSCC for class, the light came on and stayed on. A quick outside inspection indicated all tires were inflated the same.
So instead of driving directly to JSCC and being early for my class, I drove directly to Victory Honda.
There I learned that I was the fifth customer that morning (and it was only 8:15) reporting the problem.
The problem: Temperatures overnight had fallen sharply and lower temps mean lower air pressure. The sensor is apparently quite sensitive about such changes and, thus, the light came on for me. And several other Honda owners.
Actually, I was relieved to find the cause since the tires were just over three weeks old and I dreaded having to get one or more of them repaired.
But I wonder if some of the "high tech" features of my Honda are perhaps a bit too sensitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment